Gaseous Fuel Combustion
- Developing methodology and kinetic mechanisms for gaseous fuel spark ignited combustion.
- Mechanism development.
- Wide range of natural gas mixtures with varying methane numbers.
- Flame speed, ignition delay and species oxidation profiles.
- Mechanism complexity reduction.
- Couple validated kinetic mechanism with advanced combustion model for predictive combustion analysis.
Military Fuel (JP-8) Combustion Modeling
- Fundamental experiments.
- Fuel spray modeling.
- Kinetics mechanism development.
- Combustion system optimization and preliminary controls strategy development for multi-fuel engines.
Full Engine Simulation
- All cylinders with combustion.
- Full intake and partial exhaust.
- Valves and coolers (e.g. EGR system)
- Rotating components (e.g. turbochargers)
- Simulink based.
- Mapped performance and/or full predictive AT models.
- Simple imposed boundary conditions or coupled 1D engine model.
- Uses latest developed reaction mechanisms for gas phase and surface reactions.
- Uses latest physical models for wall flow devices.
- Focus areas
- Packaging constrained aftertreatment solution.
- Initial calibration strategy for regeneration.
- Fuel economy penalty origin (backpressure, substrate heating).